Monday, 7 January 2013

DIY Solfege Fishing Game!

Here's my first official Make it Monday!
January is Under the Sea Month in Music! Grade 3 students will be working on all of their solfege signs this week, so to tie into our theme I made a solfege fishing game!
First, I found free fish clipart... that I love! This awesome clipart is here on Clker.com. After downloading the picture, I copied it onto 7 different slides in Powerpoint. On each fish I typed a solfege syllable. After I printed my fish off, I cut them out, glued them onto cardstock, and added a paper clip .
To make the fishing rod I simply used an old marker, twine, a magnet, and hot glue. 
I put my fish in a bucket and voila!
My fishing game is ready to go!

To play the game, I will either play a recording of "Do-Re-Mi" from "The Sound of Music" or "Under the Sea" from "The Little Mermaid". The rod will get passed around as the music plays. When I stop the music, the person with the rod must catch a solfeg fish! When the student gets a fish they must read the solfeg syllable and show the appropriate hand sign.




We tried it! The students and I found it difficult to catch fish from a bin, so instead we scattered them on the floor. I also felt that students needed practice with the hand signs so when a fish was caught the whole class showed the hand sign instead of just the fisher.

They loved it!

- Steph






2 comments:

  1. Phil's Fishin is a game that will provide you with the realistic feeling of catching fish, if you like to fish, if you love that sport you can rent fishing equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When your website or blog goes live for the first time, it is exciting. That is until you realize no one but you and your. fishing games

    ReplyDelete