Wednesday 8 October 2014

Popsicle Sticks and a Cookie Sheet!

I have always loved using popsicle sticks for beginner rhythm readers. Modelling for them was always tricky though, so this year I decided to stick magnets on the back of some of my popsicle sticks. I used a cookie sheet on a music stand to help me model the activity for the class. 
Super basic idea I know, and some of you may already do this, but after 5 years of popsicle stick rhythms it was like a lightbulb went on! 

Using popsicle sticks today, grade 1 classes worked on creating 4 beat rhythms using ta and ti-ti for a partner to clap. We also practiced dictation activities using popsicle sticks, while I clapped a 4 beat pattern. 

Do you love popsicle sticks too???!!!


4 comments:

  1. I love your blog! It's full of great ideas! I’ve nominated you for the Liebster Award http://musicwithmissw.blogspot.com/2014/11/liebster-award.html :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE The idea of using a cookie sheet to model manipulatives! It seems so simple but will be so useful! I have also nominated you for a Leibster Award!
    http://emilyskodalymusic.blogspot.com/2014/11/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walmart has packs of small popsicle sticks. I hot glue them as connectors to the larger sticks to make pairs of eighth notes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walmart has packs of small popsicle sticks. I hot glue them as connectors to the larger sticks to make pairs of eighth notes.

    ReplyDelete