Monday 1 October 2012

Music Targets!

Most of the classroom teachers at my school have a target poster in their room and use it to reflect on learning goals with their students. I wanted to do something similar to be consistent with classroom teachers and because I think it's a great visual to help student understand what they are working towards or what they have achieved. It also helps answer the "why?" for some students, especially older students who sometimes wonder why the heck we are dancing around the Music room clapping our hands. Haha. 

Anyways, I have always found coming up with a target poster idea a challenge because I see so many darn kids! I am working on different goals with different students all the time. I needed a way for all current goals to be presented and for them to be able to be quickly changed on the poster.

So, with the help of my uber-crafty grade 1 teacher Ms. St. Laurent, I created a target poster that I can easily use with my students in Music.


I used page protectors from Dollarama, so that I can use dry erase markers to write our grade level goals. This way, I can add new goals quickly and get rid of ones that we have achieved just as fast. Do not use the fancy name brand page protectors though! The marker won't wipe away as well (thanks for the tip Ms. St. Laurent)!

I cut each page protector in half (vertically), placed a coloured paper inside, and taped the edges closed with clear tape. I then folded one end into a point so that our goals could "point" at the target.

For my target, I simply cut different coloured circles out of bristol board, glued them into a target and had it laminated.


And voila! A target poster that is very functional in the Music room! If only I had room on here for some goals that span across the grades. Any ideas?


Let me know what you all use in your classroom for goal setting! I would love to hear your ideas.

-Steph

2 comments:

  1. In one of my school districts we are expected to write our learning targets for each day of teaching. I will admit I am not always the best at this. In order to keep me on track. This year I bought 6 small dry erase boards. ($2 each so, not too expensive) Each one is put up with different grades goals on it. I update it at the beginning of each week and/or when our goals change. You can see what I mean here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/broadway4me/7959077528/ (The cabinet has the dry erase boards with the different grade numbers by each one)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comments Brittany! I had a look at your photos and really like how you have a board for each grade. It's hard to keep up sometimes, but I find keeping track of goals helps me make sure I am staying on target with what I want to be teaching the students! Thanks for your ideas!

    ReplyDelete