I am doing an Under the Sea theme right now with my K-3 students and they are loving it! We are having so much fun with it. Here is a photo of my bulletin board this month!
This past week in grade 2 we read poems from Commotion in the Ocean by Giles Andreae. We focused on the Jellyfish poem and did a few things with it.
- First I read the Jellyfish poem, then we all read it together.
- Next we brainstormed words to describe how a jellyfish would move.
- We then chose instrument sounds that would match those words.
- Finally, we practiced moving like jellyfish: slow, smooth, floating, curvy, jiggly.
- Some children created an underwater soundscape to portray the movement, while the rest moved like jellyfish.
- The following class we reviewed how a jellyfish would move and then painted that movement!
I found this great idea for jellyfish from Kristin over at For the Love of Art. Check out her blog for the instructions!
This was such a fun way to connect poetry, music and visual art!
What are your songs and ideas that would fit into an Under the Sea theme? Please share!!