Monday, 27 January 2014

Monday Music Manipulatives!

I would like to do a Monday Music Manipulative with Lindsay at Pursuit of Joyfulness!
Super simple vocal exploration fun!
This Music Manipulative is a skipping rope!

First I read the book, "The Squiggle" by Carole Lexa Schaefer to my Kindergarten students.
Next I created a "squiggle" for my kinders to sing. Usually, we start every class with a vocal warm-up that includes "painting" our sound with our fingers, following the sound of our vocal slides. Because of this, the students we prepared to "draw" the sound of the squiggle as they sang its shape.
 After singing a skipping rope squiggle of mine, we added more skipping ropes to make the squiggle longer and a few students got to design their own for the class to sing.

What manipulatives do you use to teach and/or reinforce a concept to your students?

2 comments:

  1. This is such a fun idea!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! Thank you for visiting and commenting! I am no longer posting on this blog though. Please visit my new website at www.soundscapemusic.net!

      Delete